My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Worth of Water... River Haus in the Pines

"We never know the worth of water
till the well is dry."
-Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Water is an amazing substance... and it changes things.  Not just the drinking of water, though it's significant beyond argument.  There's nothing like a long cold drink of water on a hot day to take one's dry and thirsty body and bring it alive with refreshment.  We just need water... it's a necessity of life.

Thanks to the generosity and thoughtfulness of our friends at MLCC Sharlyn and I had a bit of time away this weekend at the River Haus in the Pines, in Leavenworth Washington.  If you get a chance to get away... go to this delighful Bed and Breakfast.  The food was fantastic, the room was splendid, Mike and Cindy are just charming individuals with a heart for people (if I was going to build a house in Leavenworth - and not do the work myself - I'd call Mike), and Cooper (the dog) was very friendly and unique.  

But there's more to water than just the drinking.  The sound of the water from our room, we left the window open the whole time we were there, was incredibly relaxing.  There's nothing quite like the sound of water.  The gentle and soothing sound of the water is medicine to the soul in the midst of the noise in which we all seem to live.  To awaken at 3:00 AM and hear the water continuing on its way to wherever it's going... so refreshing... it's a necessity to the soul to stop and just listen ocassionally.

Beyond all that, watching the water flow, is a good reminder that it's the way of things.  The water keeps running, moving, never stopping; there is a constant stream of water moving from up to down and it reminds me of the flow of history.  The stream of the river is like the stream of history... it never stops.  God is writing a grand story, and I'm part of that story... as small as I know I am.  I am reminded of David in Psalm 8, "who is man that you are mindful of him."


There is nothing like a little time beside the water for reflection.  We are so grateful to our church family, and to Mike and Cindy.  It's good to have a new perspective once in a while; and good to just hear the water.

No comments: