My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Presence is Incarnational

I am challenged by the idea lately of seeing the face.  Today when I went into Starbucks I came face to face with a person who wasn't having fun, and it was painfully obvious by the look of her face.  I thought of making a joking comment to lighten the moment.  It wasn't a person I knew, but you know the way it works when, suddenly, you're in relationship a little more intimate than just walking by someone, but not to the point of really knowing the person or anything that's going on... it can be uncomfortable... so it's easier to take a cumbersome moment and make it lighter.

But for this one moment it flashed into my mind... don't make light... even if it lightens the moment.  Look into the eyes, slight knowing smile that says, "I can see by your face that it's not all ok" and then move off about your own business.  How quickly we walk through the crush of humanity never really seeing the face of another human... really.

When scripture talks about "the face of God" it sometimes, not always... but sometimes, means "presence."  "Because the face reflects the personality and character of person, the term is frequently translated person, or presence." (Holman Bible Dictionary).  This moment made me think that when someone in scripture says, "Your face I seek Oh God" they are really saying, it's your presence. 

Presence is incarnational - Christ chose to be present in our world.  When I see, really see some one's face, then I am present with them in that moment.  There is little in this world more profound than to be present with someone in the moment, and perhaps there is nothing more difficult. 

No comments: