My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Faithful yet lacking...

I am always astonished when I read Hebrews Chapter 11 of the faithfulness of the people of God as they awaited the Messiah.  As anyone who has read the chapter knows it's called the faith chapter, but I want to remember what is really astonishing about the text.  The writer details the lives of so many men and women who lived by faith... but then in the final two verses we're reminded... "They all lived by faith without receiving the promise."

They worked hard and well... and never got a paycheck...

They did the right thing... and it never paid off in any material, practical terms in the here and now of their lives...

They stayed the course... and never reached the destination...

Personality styles have been likened to the parts of a sailboat... keel, tiller, sail... ballast.  In this picture my personality is a sail.  It's a critical piece of the sailboat, without which the boat will never catch the wind and get anywhere... however... without a keel and rudder it will go whichever way the wind blows it.  Though there is a sense in which I feel directed, and I have those around me who are the tillers, keels, and... should I say it, anchors, I still  live by the vision of the moment at times.  What is capturing my attention right now is what tends to give me energy and focus.  It makes me appreciate the people who lived faithful lives for their whole lives thinking they might see the promised reward, but never did.  The text says they were persecuted in horrible ways... but stayed the course.  Give me that heart and spirit, and stamina!

It's such an interesting list of people... God is not squeamish about those who are faithful.  I think my favorite in the text is Rahab... she shows up in Jesus genealogy too... amazing who He uses when they are focused on His purpose and plan, even when they never see the reward.

The destination is the journey!

No comments: