My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Epic stories remind me of the EPIC STORY

I've spent the past few days watching Epic stories.  Two very different stories, and yet really quit the same when all is said and done.  First I watched Lonesome Dove with Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall.  I think by far the best western I've ever seen, with two of my favorite cowboy actors.  Then tonight gathered with some friends watching the extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.  I must admit I fell asleep during part of it... but I did stick out most of it.  It's just Sunday night and I dozed off.  I plan to watch the extended version trilogy of LOTR over the next couple weeks.  It's been a while. 

Those stories move me because they are filled with struggle, victory, loss, evil, overcoming, and friendship.  Most of our stories are less dramatic, but every story seems to involve the same elements and so I'm reminded of the importance of perseverance in trial, the sweetness of overcoming, and the blessing of friendship along the way.

One of my favorite sequences in the Fellowship of the Ring is the dialogue between Gandalf and Frodo in the Mines of Moria when Frodo says, "I wish the ring had never come to me."  Gandalf's response is profound on the one hand, and so simple on the other.  No one wishes for these times, but in the end all we can do is what is before us.  I am encouraged to be faithful for the moment with the task before me... whether is seems big or small, significant or not.  All we have is this moment, and how we live it.  It seems like we miss a lot either hoping for this moment to pass... or expecting the next one to come.  I want to live present to the moment and faithful to the task at hand.

No comments: