My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Today and Time


Sitting in Gustav's in Leavenworth WA earlier today having dinner with Sharlyn.  We've been there a bunch of times over the years, and a few times when our kids were younger.  A young family came and sat at the table next to us... mom, dad, and three little ones under the age of four I'm sure.  It was, as they say, deja vu all over again!  They were a simply delightful young family, but there were just a few moments when you saw that... "Really... we're doing that?" face on mom and dad.  Made me smile.


I remembered suddenly those moments when you're in a restaurant with your little ones trying to keep them quiet so you're not disturbing the old grumpy patrons, you've got the four restaurant color crayons and the kid's menus with the maze, the picture to color and the three kids choices.  Cheeseburger, Chicken Fingers, Mac & Cheese... or if it's the expanded kid's menu there's a hot dog or corn dog on the menu!  Woo hooo!  One of the little ones is trying to climb out of the high chair... another is under the table... the third... eating the crayolas and then, there goes the water!  It's all over the table, the napkins are wet, the coloring pages are coming apart... sop it up... sop it up... quick, get more napkins!

I watched this young family and remembered, and as happy as I am about watching the boys grow into adulthood... I miss those little ones, and the simplicity of those days.  Ok, it's cliched... I know.  Don't forget, and this is profound, cliche's can only become so if they're true so we shouldn't belittle their importance.

Also on the way to Leavenworth we stopped and saw a long-time friend and her little baby girl - priceless - beautiful little life.  First time we've really been with them together, other than large gatherings... she's 6 months old already.

A family with whom we're acquainted finalized the adoption today of their new son... just about 13 years old.  Couldn't be there, but was told it was awesome.  It's his first "full-time family" ever... is it ok to say that?  Not sure how to talk about it, except what he says is, "I can't wait to know that I'm in a family I won't have to leave." 



Ok!  Enough already?  Well it's just this... look them in the eye... take a good look at their bewildered, ketchup covered, water spilling, mac and cheese mess, crawling out of the high chair and under the table little made in the Image of God through and through faces and breathe a prayer of thanksgiving to Him for them.  Then kiss their wet and sticky, snotty, drooling, cheese flavored, mischievous smiling made in the Image of God faces and remind them and yourselves how delighted you are to have them... because in a minute it all changes - and you can't get it back.

 For us... the forward has been good... but there are moments when you miss those bygone days ALOT.

No comments: