My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Older Brother

One particular idea that challenged me in The Prodigal God by T. Keller is that we're probably the older brother. That is to say, I think that most of us tend to identify with the prodigal son, the younger son. Keller challenged me to think, to some degree, that I'm probably closer to the older brother, at least as a religious guy.

In so many ways the church is the older brother. We see ourselves as having kept the rules, followed the right path, done the right things, been faithful, etc, etc. When people come toward the church we may not be accepting because we see them as the younger brother coming back after being away and getting the inheritance.

The older brother is clearly annoyed that the father is accepting the younger brother back and throwing him a party... "What's all this about? I've been serving you all these years and have been faithful, and now you're throwing a party for this knucklehead whose been squandering your money on hookers!"

One really interesting reflection made by "Jordan" at church last Sunday when I asked our congregation to reflect on the Painting (I had a huge framed print in the worship area) is that the older brother may be looking on the scene between the father and the younger son and wishing that he was feeling that embrace of the father. I hadn't looked at it that way.

Notice the servants (in the background) looking on incredulously. Have they ever seen anything like this? It's the story of the gospel... while were were still knuckleheads..."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Pastor,

This is a very interesting portion of Scripture. Julianne really appreciated the message last week (I was at home with sick kids.)

To your point, I would agree that we as the church and as individuals many times take the position of "older brother." I think part of the reason for this, at least in my life, is my tendency toward skepticism.

When repentance occurs in someone else, my sinful, judgmental nature leads me to wonder if it is sincere. While I believe that we should not be simple minded and easily fooled, I think many times we have the tendency to swing to the other side of the pendulum and be on the defensive not wanting to be taken advantage of or duped. Instead, of giving the "little brother" the benefit of the doubt and nurturing/discipling their repentant spirit, it is easy to keep our distance and "wait for the fruit." This is obviously not how our Lord would have us to act.

That said, it seems that there is an important distinction that needs to be made between withholding forgiveness and withholding trust. Would it be fair to say that withholding trust from a person who has proven to be untrustworthy is prudent, even when repentance is present, until a pattern of trustworthy actions rebuilds this trust? Is it possible to fully forgive without fully trusting? Scripture is clear that forgiveness should not be withheld, but it would seem that trust takes time to rebuild.

Interestingly enough, even in his celebration and killing of the fatted calf, the father did not entrust an additional inheritance to the prodigal, but rather stated to the older brother, “Son, thou art ever with me, and ALL THAT I HAVE IS THINE…” reassuring him of his rightful inheritance.

Thank you for posting on this topic, it has resulted in great discussion around our house. :) Looking forward to next week's message.

Sincerely,

Ryan Y.

John J. Roberts said...

Hey Ryan, thanks for commenting here, I'd love this to be a discussion point in my life. I've been a bit out of sync with posting, but I'm working at being more consistent.

Couple things: First I really agree that there is a balance point between full acceptance as a repentant person being welcomed with open arms into the fellowship of faith. I think prudence demands that we walk carefully at times with entrusting some tasks to those who are walking newly in faith, or those who have repented of specific sin and are walking out a process of church discipline/restoration.

We've developed a process of walking back into fellowship for those who, as Christian, have fallen into sin (adultry, addiction, severe marriage or family difficulties, and there could be other issues: We call it a "life journey group" that's made up of 4 to 7 people and runs for two years). Often there is a period of time when we shouldn't place signficant responsibility on a person newly in faith and it takes away from their opportunity to walk forward by making them busy. Secondly care needs to be taken about the blind leading the blind as Jesus said.

I think the case of the older brother is a bit more like Jonah who in essence is saying, "I didn't want him to repent!" It annoyed the older brother because he'd been jumping through all the hoops the whole time!

I would think that we fully embrace anyone walking back toward the Lord and accept them "no srings attached" as I think the father in this story surely did... but then not push them forward into something that will side-track their growth and abundance.

The issue of the father not trusting his returning some with a further portion of inheritance is an interesting idea. I assume that the father does have more inheritance for the younger son. I think it's demonstrated in the full acceptance of him as a son - robe, ring, and sandals. When he says to the elder son, "Everything I have is yours" I don't think he is saying it in a literal way. I think he's saying it more like, "I have never withheld anything that I have from you... and that's going to continue.

Ryan, I have to think more about that topic by the way - But by giving him a ring... that is if it's the family signet ring... he's immediately entrusting the younger son with famly authority which can be sealed by the ring of the family... the family seal perhaps.

It's great to dialogue with you on this!

John

PS: We'd love to get together with you and Julianne sometime and chat if you're interested. Let me know if there are some times that work for you guys.

Unknown said...

Yes, now that you mention it, I see the Jonah connection. This makes more sense now.

Regarding the inheritance, that is an interesting perspective. As a picture of God, I can see how there would be an additional inheritance since God is giving from an unlimited supply. Practically speaking in the parable, if the father is to give the Prodigal an additional inheritance, this means that the older brother will get less of his "rightful" inheritance. Maybe that's why he's so upset? :)

Maybe I am getting off track here since the context of the parable is finding that which is lost. Anyway, lots to think about.

Yes, Julianne and I would very much like to get together, we'll email you some possible dates soon to set that up.

Ryan