My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Augustine - The Confessions

"... for you have made us for yourself and our heart is restless till it finds its rest in you.”

In the very first section of The Confessions Augustine gives us this treasure. Speaking apologetically this short quote resonates with the message of the gospel. That is to say, Paul writes in Romans chapter one that no on has excuse - all know, intuitively, that there is a creator, and there is some desire to know this one. For me it's encouraging to know that when I'm thinking about sharing my faith I can have confidence that God is also pulling those with whom I'm sharing my faith, into His presence. That means that I am only one of the players on the stage of reaching those who are outside of Jesus Christ.

As I see the struggle and striving for meaning and fulfillment all around me I'm struck by the reality that everyone is working (unless they're in a covenant relationship with God through Christ) to fill that God shaped hole in their lives. We seek relationships to fill it; careers to fill it; other people to fill it; wealth to fill it. Time to rest in HIM.

No comments: