My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Divine Embrace

A student in our church made the comment about the elder brother in The Return of the Prodigal Son that, "It looks like the elder brother is looking somewhat longingly at the embrace that the father is giving to the younger son."

Without a doubt the elder brother is incredulous about the father's behavior, but I was taken by the comment. I think it makes sense to a degree when you look at the bigger context of the passage. The first couple verses in Luke 15 are the Pharisees saying... "Look at this guy (Jesus) he's hanging with sinners and tax gatherers." That's not something they would have done, and it doesn't resonate with them in the least that Jesus is doing it.

What's at a premium for the Pharisees? Keeping the rules... following the law... every bit at least as they see it. When that characterizes our relationship with the father then it seems to me that we miss the divine embrace that the younger son is getting. Our relationship with the father, in that environment, is based upon our goodness... our doing the right things... our being the right sort of people. It's like payment for a task. The elder brother says, at the end of the parable... "I've been slaving for you all these years, doing whatever you asked" and by implication he's saying "you owe me." The beauty of the embrace that the younger son gets is that it's an embrace that isn't owed... in fact what the younger son is owed is to be run out of the family... tossed into the street... at the very best to be a slave. The sweetness and strength of the father's embrace is rooted in it's being freely given. The elder son isn't feeling it.

Throughout scripture God says to his people (see Isaiah 1 or Malachi) that he's not interested in rule following, rather he's interested in a heart that truly wants Him! Of course he's interested in obedience - there's no shortage of that message in either the Old or the New Testament. But he's not after the rule... he's after the heart that is obedient out of love for him rather than an empty hearted adherence to duty.

1 comment:

MoLak Jedi said...

John,
One thing I noticed this week as I reflected on this parable was the Father's response to the eldest son saying that he's been faithful but hasn't gotten to have so much as a wienie roast with is buds. The father tells his eldest that everything he has is available to the son. If the eldest wanted to have a party with his friends, all he had to do was ask. How often do I not have because I do not ask?

Another thing I noticed about all three parables was the value of each "lost thing" to the person searching. The woman who lost a coin didn't just lose a coin, but a silver coin, and it wasn't just a silver coin, but 1/10 of her silver coins. If her total wealth was found in those ten coins, then she lost 1/10 of all that she had. If I lost 1/10 of my cash, I'd figure out a way to find that money.