My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Prayer for Beginners - Peter Kreeft

Necessity - Chapter 1

Matthew 14:23; Mark 6:46; Luke 5:16; Luke 6:12; Luke 9:28; Luke 11:1ff; Luke 18:1ff.

"Eating keeps your body alive, and prayer keeps your soul alive. Praying is more important than eating because your soul is more important than your body. Your soul is more important than your body because your soul is you, your personality your self... prayer keeps your soul alive because prayer is real contact with God, and God is the life of the soul as the soul is the life of the body. If you do not pray, your soul will wither and die, just as, if you do not eat, your body will wither and die."



The difficult issue in view of this truth is that it's not as evident to us that our soul is dying as it is that our body is dying. Fasting, though one of the classic Christian disciplines has been almost completely neglected, makes our need for food painfully evident. Most protestants neglect fasting because it's unpleasant. Do you fast regularly? I go through periods of regular fasting; Mondays are the days I choose. I can honestly say that I'm annoyed by 11:00 AM or so on fasting days. It's not just that I'm famished, it's that I like eating... I enjoy it... it's part of my daily routine... I schedule my days around breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So do you. I just don't think of going through a day without eating, unless I'm exceptionally busy. My body misses food and thinks I'm dying if I miss a meal. My soul, on the other hand, doesn't demonstrably complain if I miss prayer for one session... a day... or perhaps even a week!



Kreeft says that prayer is important because it is real contact with God. Unfortunately, however, real contact with God isn't that helpful if GOD DOESN'T SEEM REAL SOMETIMES! Of course we know, intuitively if no other way, that God is real. Like the death of our soul can happen quietly the death of God's presence can also die a quite death. Of course he never ceases to be present, but my awareness of his presence can be severely hindered by my neglect of prayer.



It's fortunate that as humans we have complex souls. That is to say, we don't simply have desires, we can have desires about our desires. Simply put, if we don't have a desire for prayer at this moment, but we recognize how important prayer is to the health and life of our soul, we can have a desire about our desire to pray! Not feeling like praying? Not consistent with prayer? Wallowing in condemnation about not being a "prayer warrior" is probably not the best option for us... rather perhaps it's time to start with this prayer... "Lord give me a desire to pray because I don't feel like it just now, or at least I don't seem to remember it." Let's don't live in what we didn't do with prayer yesterday let's just make a run at beginning today... our souls need food!

No comments: