My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

II Timothy - Earl Palmer (Regent College)

I've been at Regent College this week taking a class on II Timothy from Earl Palmer (University Presbyterian Church - Seattle). It's been a great class and Earl Palmer is a wealth of interesting information about II Timothy and many other things. He's a guy who knows so much that he can easily talk about anything at the drop of the hat, and does, but connects his musings adeptly to the focus of the class. It's been delightful.

Here's a way of studying the text that he showed us the first day. Nothing substantially new... but a good reminder to me as to how to exegete the text of scripture. You follow the text through five questions. These don't have to relate to "preaching or teaching" but can relate simply to one's personal study of scripture.

I. The Technical Questions
Lower Criticism: What is the best reading of the text? What do the words mean? Why was this particular word used? “Tell me what the hard words mean and you will have done more for me than a 1000 commentaries.” C.S. Lewis

II. The Historical Questions
Behind: What’s the history behind what’s being said… the depth.
Form Criticism: What is the atmosphere behind the text? What’s going on around this writing? What is the context in which it’s given?
Within: Develop a “radical historical curiosity” about the things going on within the text and the time.

III. The Theological Question
What does the text say? What does it mean? What is the author trying to get at… what does he want us to see and know theologically?

IV. The Contemporary Question
Audience Criticism: How would an audience in the first Century hear this text? Why does John the Baptist ask, “Are you the one or should we look for another?” What makes John so disappointed with Jesus that he asks that question? How would those moving down through the centuries view the text? How would a Freudian view the text? We need new commentaries in every generation because every generation is dealing with something or someone new.

V. The Discipleship Question
There’s no great commentary that doesn’t deal with what it means of me? I want Paul to speak to me… to others

Palmer has a very high regard for Calvin's work, and one quote that he's given us from Calvin regards the importance of the biblical text, which says, “The text will always bring you to the ‘living center’ (Christ), the OT by anticipation, the NT by witness.” May it be so.

1 comment:

Hoop said...

I went and saw Palmer at an event when I lived in Seattle...bought two of his books. He was pretty amazing to sit and glean from. Very down to earth, yet a wealth of knowledge. Good stuff here...

Hoop