My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thursday Morning Community, Psalm 1 - James 1

I am intrigued that though we chose James to read, and started at Psalm 1 (ok that's not a big surprise to start at Psalm 1) they have some similar content.

But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers. Psalm 1:2-3 (NASB95)

Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. James 1:21 (NASB95)

The word of God is both the seed and the water... God uses it in our lives to bear fruit. We were talking last night about the necessity of being in God's presence... even for Jesus! Think about how deeply connected Christ was also to the written word... quoting it often... clearly well versed in it. He lived in it when "not on the spot" so that his life was shaped for the times when he "was on the spot!" May it grow up and bear fruit!

1 comment:

K Keyes said...

The verse that stuck out most to me was James 1:24. I hadn’t read that verse since I figured out I have a slight case of prosopagnosia (facial blindness). It’s really hard for me to recognize faces – I’ve even freaked myself out before standing too close to mirrors in stores before. Any way, the point is that I can stare and stare into the mirror and see all my facial details as I’m literally looking into the mirror, but . . .even now, all I know is that I’m a female Asian. Growing up I’d been taught that the verse was basically about deceiving ourselves about sin in our lives. Like having food on your face and seeing it but walking away and not wiping it off – choosing to live in whatever realm we want instead of reality. I don't have that exact take this time. I think one of the biggest factors of today are the lies we accept and believe – the lies we tell ourselves or the lies we are told. We “know” who we are in Christ – at least we’ve been quizzed and tested over the concept and biblical references . . .but do I daily dwell in those truths? Seriously, how many of us really know “who I am?” How can I effectively go about my day without even knowing who I am? How can I know who I am without living out Truth? How can I know Truth?