My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Riverdance

We just got back from Riverdance in Spokane WA. What a hoot. The performance was last night at the Spokane Opera House. We've had a commitment to take our boys to some event like this on a regular basis. Unfortunately "a regular basis" hasn't been nearly as often as we'd like to have taken them. The last time we did something at the Opera House was Christmas two years ago... we saw The Nutcracker Ballet which was also a hoot.

We have the boys dress nicely, suits & ties, and go out to dinner, usually stay at the Davenport Hotel. This time was just as great as the last time. Our kids (generally, not just our three boys) have been brought up in such a media immersed age that they haven't been exposed much to such events. It makes us nervous when our kids are "bored" so we just don't make them attend such social occasions. It's clear to me that folks don't expose their children to such events for two non-scientific reasons. 1) We didn't really see any other children (under 18) at the event. I know there were some, but not enough to really notice. 2) People really noticed us... that is to say, nearly every adult that we had any significant contact with made comments about having our boys there, and how nicely they were dressed.

I feel very blessed because first our boys love dressing up. Second, we have enough income, and have been generously blessed by the goodness of others to experience such events. Our youngest, Noah, sort of rolled his eyes a bit through the first half, but was hooked after the break. There isn't much opportunity to be exposed to such amazing music and dancing. I think, at times, that living where we live, if a child isn't athletic there isn't a chance for her/him to find an outlet for their giftedness. It's the saddest thing in the world that we spend so much time, money, and energy exposing or sons and daughters to sports (most of them won't play sports of any sort extensively after high school) that we don't have time to expose them to the arts and society which they can appreciate right up until they fall into the hole in which they'll be buried.

I hope we can keep doing it, and I'd encourage you to also... if you don't have children gain an appreciation for it personally, and build the habit of taking it all in... then when/if you do have children you'll love it or at least appreciate it enough, to want to take you kids.

No comments: