My Stuff

My photo
Moses Lake, Washington, United States
I was born in Croix Chapeau France in 1963. My dad was there serving in the Military. I was able to go visit the town in which I was born a few years back... it was a delightful journey. Happily married... three wonderful and energetic boys: Jonathan, Joshua, Noah. I find them more interesting and fun, the older they get. I really don't understand parents who don't want to be around their children. I have a BA in Theology/Preaching from Puget Sound Christian College (which no longer exists, but from which I got some good stuff {thanks Dr. Ford - RIP})and an MA in Apologetics from Biola University.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Jesus is____________.

Study break in Kirkland... sitting in a Starbucks alone surrounded by people. I sometimes think I can be most alone when surrounded by people, I like it. The sights, sounds, smells, uniqueness of people - God is so creative that sometimes it just catches me off guard. In the misdst of all this I look out the window and notice a bumper sticker on the back of a Kia sitting across the lot. Not sure why it intrigued me, except perhaps the simplicity of it. Solid black bumper sticker with these few stark white words...

Jesus is ___________.

It might also have caught my attention because I was just reading in my Solo NT the words of Jesus as Eugene Peterson paraphrases them...

Matthew 11:28-30, "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Tired? (Yep)
Worn out? (I don't know for sure... maybe)
Burned out on religion? (not very religious I'm afraid so I'm avoiding that one!)
Come to me... (so cool that he came to me so that I could come to him)
Get away with me and you'll recover your life... (why don't I do that more?)
I'll show you how to take a real rest... (this might be more important than prayer... not sure)
Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it... (he was best at it)
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace... (I think I've lost time & rhythm lately)
I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you... (thank you... that is grace in essence perhaps!)
Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly... (deep breathing and deep laughter -why do we take ourselves so seriously)

Jesus is____________. Life, grace, rest, irreligious to the point of being hated by the religious, the way, shepherd, friend... I think he would like me even in the times when I am most unlikable... knowing that at this moment is even better than this cup of coffee.

1 comment:

bkwilson said...

I like the phrase, "get away with Me and you'll recover your life". Makes me think of the words in a song "a shelter in the time of storm". Thanks for sharing.